[TRLog] Editing the log on the fly

Subject: [TRLog] Editing the log on the fly
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 01:36:18 -0800
Just took a browse through the wish list on the TR site.  Every time I
do this I learn something new.  (In this case the use of ALT I to
increment the guy's serial number I've entered in the Exchange window
each time he sends it while I'm waiting for him to notice me.)  Anyway I
have a solution for item 2 on the list which doesn't require quitting
and restarting TR.  I realize that many of you will find the solution
abhorrent as it requires running TR under windows.

This assumes the log file already exists.

This works in Win98.  Don't know about any other versions of win.

Open the log file in a windows based text editor.
Switch to the TR DOS box and contest away.
When you want to edit a Q earlier than the last 5, switch to the text
editor window, find the Q, (use CTRL-F) and edit it.
Switch back to TR.

You might want to try this when you aren't in the middle of a contest.

Some things that make this easier.

  If your keyboard has a "Windows" key, pressing it while TR is running
will switch you instantly into windows.  (It will also display the Start
menu.  Press the windows key again to get rid of it.  I have found that
if I don't do this TR sometimes seems to freeze when I return to it.
 Pressing the windows key twice gets everything going again.  Don't ask
why.  I don't know.)  If the text editor has the focus you will be in
the text editor and can make changes immediately.

  Use a text editor that knows if the file has been changed since you
last did anything in the editor and asks if you want to reload the file.
 Texturizer will do this (and a lot more - chuck notepad or whatever
it's called these days and get something decent.)
 http://www.texturizer.net/

Hope this is useful to someone.

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO

2. Editing QSOs beyond the last five: This is one of the prices paid for
using an ASCII file. Unless I keep the file in memory and rewrite the
whole file after every QSO (which would force me to use a binary file
because you can write a binary file much faster), we are going to have
to live with it. I still believe that this isn't something you should be
doing very often - and you can still exit the program, make your changes
and then restart. Perhaps I can reduce the cost of restarting by saving
the band map somewhere.