[TRLog] Aborting RTTY messages

Subject: [TRLog] Aborting RTTY messages
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:56:54 +0000
K4RO continued:

>You beat me to the punch Brett.  Thanks for looking that up.
>The best I've been able to come up with is a two key combination
>based on your info.  I programmed F9 with "^Cr"  I can now abort
>an unwanted F-key message by pressing F10 then F9.
>
>I can't seem to get it to abort with just one keystroke.  I tried
>putting ":" before the Control-C R in F9, but that didn't work for
>some reason.  Perhaps I am missing something obvious about how F10
>works in RTTY mode?  In CW, a : makes any key go to the keyboard.
>Is it different in RTTY?

F10 in RTTY automatically takes you into terminal mode & sends
RTTY SEND STRING to the TNC.  Try to think of it as a hard-coded
key that does the RTTY equivalent of keyboard sending mode in CW.  And
getting out of "RTTY keyboard sending mode" by hitting ESC sends
RTTY RECEIVE STRING to the TNC before exiting.  Use F10 only to
go into transmit & send something on air that isn't a CQ, QRZ, repeat
exchange, etc, etc.

Chief Op Fumble Fingers here in the beginning got into the mindset of
mashing F10, then manually doing a ^C & then talking to the TNC in
its command mode to recover from embarrassing moments, but have
since learned to just hit the RADIO 1/2 button on the PK-232 & disappear
for a moment from the air, wait for the TNC to stop sending into the
unused radio port, then resume.

I suspect that all the function keys in RTTY will also tack a RTTY SEND
STRING to the beginning & RTTY RECEIVE STRING to the end, that it
probably is impossible to set up a function key for aborting a cock up.

Perhaps VE3IAY might comment, based on his efforts (BTW, a VE3IAY
QSL was found in the grocery bag full of mail I brought with me this week
to entertain myself with in my hotel room, Rich).

>The most desirable way for me would be to have escape stop any
>transmission.  Is there a way to make escape send this string
>at the proper time?  This sounds more a little more complicated.

I suspect that may be difficult, as TR isn't aware of what TNC is doing &
already uses that key to switch its modes.

73, BW2/VR2BrettGraham