[TRLog] Computer clocks

Subject: [TRLog] Computer clocks
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 19:55:53 -0500
Paul,
You are correct about the operation of the CMOS clock and the operating
system clock.

Remember back in the old days, there were PCs that did not have a CMOS clock
and that one needed to enter the time every time the PC was booted. Once
running, the OS maintained the time.  All the CMOS clock did, when they
became available, was to tell the OS the time at bootup.

If your PC loses significant time while it's running, it seems to me that
you have some background application that is stealing "time".  I've never
seen this problem with pure DOS - only when folks run in a window.

(The text you lifted via Google seems like an issue with a BIOS setting for
power management - nothing to do with the clock)

73 Mike N2MG