[TRLog] Farnsworth

Subject: [TRLog] Farnsworth
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:38:27 -0800
Hi Paul,

That fellow was me.  Farnsworth does work, not the way I thought but the
way it is described in the manual.  I just didn't read it carefully and
made an incorrect assumption.  I was straightened out by Udo, DL2ZAV.

This is my current belief as to how it works.  Suppose you set TR to
send at 18 wpm by means of ALT-S, PgUp, PgDn, or whatever.  This is the
speed which TR displays on the screen.  No matter what you set the
Farnsworth Speed to - let's use 25 wpm - TR sends the characters at 18
wpm.  If this speed is less than the Farnsworth Speed TR lengthens the
spaces between the characters so the overall speed is now less.  In this
case, the characters will still be sent at 18 wpm but the spaces between
the characters will be lengthened.  The greater the difference between
the speed that you set (18) from the Farnsworth Speed (25) the greater
will be the lengthening of the spaces.

Try setting the Farnsworth speed to 35 or 40 wpm.  Now try changing TR
speed using PgUp and PgDn while listening to TR sending CW.  I think
you'll find that it works as I described.

Let me know what you found.

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO