[TRLog] CW woes....Fixed

Subject: [TRLog] CW woes....Fixed
From: k4sb@earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 03:10:23 +0000
> Wiser more experienced DOS experts, please correct me if I am wrong....
> I made up a small .bat file that saves me a lot of typing.  It resides in
> C:\Windows.000\ subdir -- the default subdir when restarting in DOS from
> Win98se (Start/Shut Down/Restart in DOS Mode).
>
> Can you (experts, listen up and correct me here) do this?
>
> 1.  create a batch file in a text editor?  Name it something like t.bat, for
> instance.
> 2.  type in on line one: smartdrive c+
> 3.  type in on line two: cd:\log\contest\naqp\cw
> 4.  type in on line three:  tr
> 5.  save the file as t.bat (or whatever you want, but not TR.bat)
 the path accordingly.
> 73,
> dale, kg5u

Finally, something an old geezer like myself can answer. You may
indeed do exactly like you described Dale, but I would add a couple of
lines and also correct a little.

First of all, the bat file can be any name you want it to be,
including TR.bat And since the restart in DOS mode usually places you
in the C:\ prompt, I'd put it there. Now, be sure your Path statement
in AUTOEXEC.bat contains a Path=C:\;ect or if you want to put the bat
file somewhere else, PATH=C:\;C:\WINDOWS.OOO;C:\WINDOWS....ECT
This statement will cause any bat file to execute for any program.You
can even make a TR.BAT in C:\ which sends you to a TR.BAT in TR, but
let's forget that.

I suggest something like this for the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

PATH=C:\;C:\WINDOWS:C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\TEMP;C:\TR;C:\CT; ECT.NOTE
THE SEPARATOR IS A SEMICOLON ( ; )

And for the CONFIG.SYS FILE.....

DOS=HIGH, UMB ( PUT DOS IN HIGH MEM )
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS\TESTMEM:OFF ( GET EVERYTHING UP HIGH,
BUT DON'T COUNT MEMORY
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE +C ( STICK IT UP ALSO )
FILES=50
BUFFERS=50
TEMP=C:\TEMP ( YOU MAY HAVE TO ADD THE DIRECTORY "TEMP" TO THE C DRIVE
LASTDRIVE=M ( OR WHATEVER LETTER IS GREATER THAN THE ACTUAL NUMBER OF
DRIVES )

Notice I did NOT include a STACKS= command. The default without the
command is over 9000 so don't worry about it.

Now this is important. Be SURE DOS=HIGH,UMB is the FIRST line or
you'll get errors.

Now for our bat file. Assume we are in the text editor.

CLS Clear the screen
CD\C:\ ( GOTO ROOT DIRECTORY IF YOU'RE NOT THERE )
CD\LOG\CONTEST\NAQP\CW ( Goto where the program is )
TR.EXE ( and execute it )
CLS Clear the screen and
CD\C:\ (return to the root directory )

Again, the bat file can go anywhere AS LONG AS it is in the PATH=
statement

Now if you really want to get fancy, add a COPY *.BIN C:\TEMP right
after the TR.EXE
in the file. This will backup up your log in the TEMP directory. ( Be
sure you do have
a C:\TEMP directory )

Now finally, from the C:\ prompt type Mem\c\p

This will show you where are the various programs are located. ( the p
means PAUSE after the blooming screen fills the first part )

And then just strike any other key and you will see what free memory
you have, and a little note saying "DOS is resident in the high memory
area"

Now, I've just gotta screwed up somewhere...so let me know.

73
Ed