[Trlog] RTTY Wish List

Subject: [Trlog] RTTY Wish List
From: k4ro at k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Sat Mar 8 16:53:29 2003
Thanks for the clarification Jim.  I haven't tried RITTY yet.

In other news, I added a third serial port to my contest computer,
so I can now talk to both radios and the TNC simultaneously.
As a result, I can now use the 2nd radio as a receiver to find
a needed station, the use the new EXCHANGERADIOS function to
quickly work the found station on the TX rig (#1), then swap
radios right back to running.  This is almost as good as SO2R,
with just a second RX.  As long as EXCHANGERADIOS doesn't choke,
it works very well.  EXCHANGERADIOS does sometimes fail (one out
of ten times) probably due to a CI-V packet collision.  When it
fails, only one radio changes QRG, with the result being both
radios tuned to the exact same frequency.  Not prefect, but
the CI-V protocol is limited, and prone to collisions.

I doubt I'll use the second radio much in the RTTY Sprint, but
it should come in handy for the next regular run 'em contest.

One last micro-nit.  I wish EXCHANGERADIOS was called SWAPRADIOS.
There are already many features using the word EXCHANGE.  Thanks
for keeping the RTTY mode in mind.

-Kirk  K4RO