[Trlog] SO2R without the 2R

Subject: [Trlog] SO2R without the 2R
From: k4ro at k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Tue Jul 22 09:47:47 2003
Operating the NAQP RTTY contest last weekend, I used the
new EXCHANGERADIOS function in 6.73 to achieve a seamless
SO2R type operation without using a second transmitter.

My primary motivation was due to the fact that I only have
one RTTY decoder, and TR-Log has no way to currently control
two radios in the RTTY mode.

I used TR-Log and a PK-232 on radio 1, and radio 2 was used
as a receiver only running MMTTY. Both rigs had a serial port
frequency interface.  I would spot a new QSO (or mult or move
QRG) on the second RX while running on radio 1.  When the timing
was right, I'd punch the EXHCANGERADIOS key, and work the station
on the "second" band.  One more hit of EXHCANGERADIOS, and I'm
back to CQing on the first band.

This same technique could be applied to any one-radio CW or SSB
setup for near-SO2R operation without the addition of a second
TX. It does require a second receiver with computer control.
What a cool and very useful new function.

-Kirk  K4RO