Re: [Trlog] PCI Serial I/O Card Recommendation

To: <w0yk@msn.com>, <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] PCI Serial I/O Card Recommendation
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 06:22:06 -0800
 [Trlog] PCI Serial I/O Card Recommendation

> Does anyone have a recommendation for brand of PCI I/O card with two serial
> RS232C ports?  I need to add two more ports to one of my logging/rig
> computers.  Fry's has several brands and types, some with parallel ports,
> too.  The Internet has a spectrum of cards.  Maybe any will work fine, but
> if anyone has experience they can share it may save me some grief.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed - W0YK

Hi Ed

As you predicted just about anything works with TRLog. A few years ago
I had a "hodgepodge" of PCs and serial boards in a Multi-op network. I
replaced all the PCs with the same brand and make. I also configured all
the PCs with the same brand serial boards so each machine had four, etc.

I would suggest a serial board with the 16650 UART instead of the slower
16550, make sure the board is fully populated. Having the jumper info silk
screened on the board is handy so you don't have a mystery board if the
manual is lost. One that has both the DB9 and DB25 connector hardware
will make a cleaner installation without adapters. Might as well upgrade to
4 ports since you will have the lid off. A cheap I/O port checker with LEDs
from Radio Shack is useful to verify the com port selections.

Now is the time to get old serial boards. I noticed none of our local shops
sell them now (or even know what I'm talking about).

73 Rich KL7RA