Re: [Trlog] TRLog & WinXP

To: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>,"TRLog Reflector" <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] TRLog & WinXP
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 12:57:06 -0500
Win XP does not allow direct control of OS resources. It has it's own
agenda and takes time out when it feels like it to do other tasks.
That's where the jerkiness comes from. Microsoft no longer takes any
pains to make real-time DOS programs work properly. Applications need
to be redesigned to Windows API's.

Best thing to do is to provide for a dual boot environment with one
small partition that is visible to both windows and DOS. That way you
can boot DOS from a floppy and see files that you can later create
email attachments from under XP.

If you use a win98 emergency disk to boot W98's "dos" you can make the
partition FAT 32. Otherwise you need it to be FAT 16. Doesn't need to
be big. Just big enough to contain TR and log files, etc.

There are reams of material on this in the archives.

73, Guy.