[Trlog] v6.79 in NEQP

To: "'TR LOG'" <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] v6.79 in NEQP
From: "William H. Hein" <Bill@NT1Y.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 11:49:26 -0400
I used TR v6.79 in last weekend's New England QSO Party.  I had been trying
out various Windows-based contest logging programs over the past year, but
have come back to tried-and-true TR for single-op efforts.

Using TR again reminded me of the software's wonderful flexibility.  I
programmed F5 to send a CW serial number to satisfy all the Europeans
(apparently operating in the ARI and Welcome To EU tests) who asked for one.
What other contesting software could accommodate sending serial numbers upon
request in a non-serial number contest?

I encountered a few problems during the contest, all of which might be
operator errors as I was relearning the ins and outs of TR during the
weekend (the 179-page manual was open on my desktop during the contest):

(1)  During the contest, in the score window, TR stopped counting DX
multipliers at 20 even though I worked many more.

(2)  During the contest, the multiplier window kept forgetting the W1 states
I had already worked each time I changed bands.  POST cleaned this up--all
my W1 states are recognized in the final log.

(3)  Some, but not all, DX countries were indicated in my log as multipliers
each time I worked them (even after I ran the POST log processor): 4U1I, EA,
GM, GW, HB, IS, OK, OZ, SP, SV, YU.  This is strange, many other countries
were counted as multipliers only once regardless of how many times worked.

(4)  When I logged KI1G as KenRI (Kent County, Rhode Island), TR recorded
the multiplier as 'Ky'.  I corrected this with an ALT-E log edit.

(5)  Because of the multiplier issue noted above, I think the score
indicated on my summary sheet is inflated.

(6)  I was confused by the logic by which callsigns would be displayed in
the window above the call window during the logging process (always in CQ
MODE, I didn't make any S&P QSO during the contest).  I had my TRMASTER.DTA
file installed and understand the +1 logic that defines the calls related to
the currently logged call displayed in the window below the call window, but
can't figure out what was going on in the other window.  I'm sure there's an
obvious answer, but I couldn't figure it out under the "fog of contesting."

All in all, very happy to be using TR again.  I have cut and pasted the .CFG
file I used during the contest below.

73,
Bill NT1Y

MY CALL = NT1Y

VGA DISPLAY ENABLE = TRUE

MY STATE = VT
MY GRID = FN34VD
MY NAME = BILL

CONTEST = NEW ENGLAND QSO PARTY
CONTEST TITLE = NEW ENGLAND QSO PARTY 2004

DISPLAY MODE = COLOR

TWO RADIO MODE = FALSE

KEYER RADIO ONE OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 1

RADIO ONE CONTROL PORT = SERIAL 1
RADIO ONE BAUD RATE = 57600
RADIO ONE TYPE = ORION
RADIO ONE NAME = <<ORION