Re: [Trlog] XP and TR

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] XP and TR
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 23:45:40 -0400
On Wed, 26 May 2004 at 02:17:42 -0700, you said:

My W98 Dell laptop died while mobile during the Oregon QSO party. I need to
replace it but all the new available units are USB only and run XP or W2k.
Our corporate IT guy, who has to support my L/T decision, suggested I put a
reduced W98 version on a USB plug-in "thumb drive" and run the DOS session
from there rather than resorting to Partition Magic or one of the other
suggested work-arounds. At $30 for 128M it certainly seems reasonable.
Anyone have comments on this strategy?
Are available USB to RS232 converters okay with this?
tnx,
Dick Frey    k4xu

I see two big questions here:

1. Can a thumb drive be used as a boot device? I would have thought that you needed to have a driver loaded (under an existing O/S) before the computer would recognize the device. Is there support at the BIOS level for thumb drives?

2. Regardless of how you boot the computer and what O/S you boot to, will TRLog work with a USB serial adapter anyway? If so, for rig control only or also for CW keying? with any USB serial adapter, or only with certain brands? and if so, which ones?

I suspect you would have a better likelihood of success using a second-hand W98 laptop with a native RS232 serial port.

Wishing you luck, and 73,
Rich VE3IAY