Re: [Trlog] Sprint mode question

To: Ken Beals <k6mr@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Sprint mode question
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:06:18 -0500
On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:29:09PM -0700, Ken Beals wrote:

> If I am in CQ mode:  enter a call, press <enter>.  Exchange gets sent,
> cursor moves to exchange window.  But, the menu keys switch over to S&P
> mode as soon as I do this.  So, if he asks for a repeat, I can't use the
> CQ keys, I have to use a F key from the S&P mode.  At the moment I've
> programmed some Alt keys that give me the same results for both modes.
> Although it's kinda complex since you have to send either the previous
> name or the previous-previous name, depending on whether the contact has
> been logged or not.  This also happens in S&P mode, although I guess it
> is intended since once you log the contact you really are "done", and TR
> has switched to CQ mode, not knowing the guy was going to ask for a repeat.

Well, it is supposed to do this.  The thinking is that when you are in the
middle of a QSO, the function keys pretty much do what you would want in
the S&P mode.

> I do find just using the F keys directly to do the exchanges does not
> switch modes until I hit the final enter.  Is that the best way to run
> this type of  Sprint?

No.  Function keys should only be used for CQing, and giving or asking
for repeats.

The beauty of not using function keys in the sprint for sending your
exchange is that the exchange gets send "correctly" automatically.  By
this, I mean that the "correct" syntax for an exchange when you CQed
is used, versus the "correct" syntax when you answered the CQ.  You
can look over some of the available web pages written that explain this
concept.

web.jzap.com/n6tr/sprint.html will get you started.

So, you should "only" do this:

RETURN to call CQ (or F1).
Type a call - hit RETURN
Type in the exchange and hit RETURN

QSY and find someone to calll.

Press the SPACE BAR to call the guy.  Enter his call while the program
is calling him.  Press Alt-Z to get into the exchange window and fill in
any initial exchange.  Type in the rest of the exchange and press ENTER
to send the exchange.  Afterwards, if someone calls you, type in his call
and press ENTER.

This does take some faith that the program is really ready to do the right
thing, but that is why the simulator supports the sprint and also why the
NCCC sponsors the practice sprints.

"Let go of your senses Luke - use the force".

Tree