[Trlog] CW speed commands

To: "trlog@contesting.com" <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] CW speed commands
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:25:54 -0800
Sometimes I want to send CQs with my call sent once at normal speed and once at a slower speed. The idea being that, on Sunday afternoon, the good ops will know what speed I'm comfortable at and, at the same time, to put out the welcome mat for the slower ones.

So, I put the following into the F1 message memory:

CQ CW MEMORY F1 = CQ TEST DE \ <13><13><13><13><13>\<06><06><06><06><06> NST >

This is supposed to slow the 2nd instance of my call down by 30%, send it, and speed up again to the original speed (not by 30% - speedup has to be 43% of the slower speed).

It actually speeds up again to a speed a little faster than the original speed. With auto-cq running the CQ starts running faster and faster each time it is played. Sounds a little comical unless you're actually in a contest.

It appears that there may be some rounding or truncation errors in the speed adjustment (is this integer arithmetic?) and that it may not be possible to get back to exactly the same speed.

But then, I routinely hit PgDn a few times for slow speed callers and PgUp the same number of times to get back to normal speed and have never noticed this problem when doing that. i.e. I always appear to end up at the same speed. It's possible, of course, that the same thing is occurring but over a long enough period of time that I don't notice.

I tried <03>SPEED---<04>\<03>SPEED+++<04> but it seems that the commands are executed first before any characters are transmitted, thus cancelling each other out.

I don't want to slow down to a specific speed because I routinely adjust my normal speed to suit conditions. I would like the slower speed to reduce by the same ratio.

Also, the change in speed produced by 5 CTRL-S characters is less than the expected 5x6% = 30%. Hmm... maybe each 6% acts on the new speed. e.g. if speed = 30 wpm one CTRL-S would produce 28.2 wpm, the next one would produce 6% of that and give 26.5 and so on until 5 of them give 22 wpm. Well, I guess that makes sense.

Any ideas as to how I can do the slow-down/speed-up thing without my CQs getting the bit between their teeth and galloping off into the sunset?

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO