[Trlog] TR on a Win XP machine

To: "TRLog Reflector" <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] TR on a Win XP machine
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:08:33 -0700
Here's another way to run TR on a fast XP machine. Maybe it has been
mentioned before, but I didn't see it in the archives:

Install an old DOS HDD in the XP machine as a second HDD. Set the
jumpers to make it the master drive (HDD-0).

Make the drive with XP on it the slave (HDD-1) by setting its jumpers.

When the machine starts to boot, enter Bios Setup, and change the boot
order to either HDD-0 first, or HDD-1 first, depending on whether you
want to run DOS or XP.

When I boot to the DOS drive, I get a warning about Frame Base Address
EMS being unavailable, and expanded memory not being available, but it
boots anyway. Max executable program memory size is about 600 KB. TR
data entry, Rig control and cw keying work fine. I haven't tried the
paddle yet. The computer is a homemade job with an overclocked
processor equivalent to Athlon XP 3200. I have some other DOS programs
that I plan to run on here too, like the ones from the ARRL antenna
book, and EZNEC. Anybody want to buy my old 486 DX 66 (without HDD)?

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ