[Trlog] FT-100 mystery cleared up

To: "'TRlog'" <TRlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] FT-100 mystery cleared up
From: "Bob Evans" <Bevans@hal-pc.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:53:51 -0500
After suffering through NAQP with my FT-100 (second radio at the moment) NOT
talking to TRlog, I was able to determine what is going on today.  TRlog
WILL talk to an FT-100 only if it is the only rig or the "RADIO ONE".  If
the FT-100 is used as "RADIO TWO", you get frequency readouts below
1000...like in the 800-900.  The workaround was to use the FT-100 as RADIO
ONE and reverse the switching relay logic (is it SWAP RIG CONTROL RELAY or
something like that?).  Now, assuming the FT-100 is always a second rig that
sits on the right of the main rig, the highlighted frequency readouts are
swapped right to left, but at least the highlighted frequency is correctly
shown for the rig you are actually on.  Most importantly, the rig and the
log match so you don't have to manually bandup/banddown in the log.  I know
I've got an error or two for NAQP.

I realize there are only a handful of us morons that would ever consider
using an FT-100 in a "real" contest, but I'm in the middle of rebuilding my
station around Elecraft K2/100s and I've only got one at the moment, so the
FT-100 got pressed into service for NAQP.  I normally just use the FT-100 in
the car for FQP or TQP contests and it has always worked so well with TRlog
until I brought it in the shack as a second radio.  I'm assuming there is an
easy fix to this issue and maybe the code for FT-100 control just
accidentally got left out of the second radio control code when it was added
several years ago.  The fact that I searched the archives for a similar
problem and found no emails except one that seemed to be using a single
FT-100, confirms that this will always be an extremely low priority, but the
workaround seems to work fine.  Only wish I had had time to figure it out
before the contest.  Boy, have I gotten spoiled with a good SO2R setup and
automated antenna switching.  I can't wait until I've gotten things together
again...hopefully, by SS.  Moving mults was painful in a manual mode (good
excuse #732 for having low mult count).

Bob K5WA
Houston, TX