Re: [Trlog] [WriteLog] SO2R and Front end Protection

To: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>, <trlog@contesting.com>,<trlog@qth.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] [WriteLog] SO2R and Front end Protection
From: "VE5ZX" <ve5zx@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 06:24:54 -0600
> Another trick I know some have used is a #47 lamp as a fuse on a separate
> rx
> antenna input to the rig.  Requires switching between the rigs antenna
> jacks
> between tx and rx.  The lamp will glow brightly if there is significant RF
> on the line and will open if there is enough.

I have been thinking about using this method but I wonder is this technique
really works. If the #47 lamp is has a tungsten filament won't its
resistance be close to zero when it is cold and the damage to the rx will be
done long before the filament lights up? Has anyone used this technique and
found it to work in a real situation?

Syl

Sylvan Katz - VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK