Re: [Trlog] DVK

To: k6dgw@foothill.net, TR-Log Reflector <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] DVK
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 09:07:51 -0400
For recording, I suggest Audacity, a free application that is very good for
trimming audio files to precise length.  It also has the capability of
setting audio files to a consistent peak level, without clipping.  It makes
it easy to get good-sounding, consistent messages.

Setting the level to your radio is a little trickier, because it depends on
whether you must feed the sound card's audio to a microphone input or can
put it into a line-level jack on the back panel.  For the former, you need
a voltage divider; for either, you may need isolation transformers to help
eliminate hum.  Either way, you need to set the playback level of your
sound card so as to have it as close as possible to the level from your
normal voice.  With my simple interface and a duplex capable sound card, I
feed my microphone through the sound card.  That way I can set the sound
card's microphone gain to match the recorded files, and then control both
levels to the transceiver simultaneously with the line out level control.

Hum can be difficult, particularly with feeding audio to the microphone
jack - I found that I needed both isolation transformers and VERY good
connections between the computer and transceiver chassis.

73, Pete N4ZR