Re: [Trlog] Partly corrupted logfile

To: Charles K?mpf <hb9ebm@bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Partly corrupted logfile
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:15:46 -0700
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:34:43PM +0200, Charles K?mpf wrote:

> After Helvetia Contest with HB9BSL I had a partly corrupted logfile.
> The first 389 QSO's were OK but after that 222 QSO's only chinese. It
> looks like...
>
> *80SSB 28-ALLLLLLLL??Ne????QeReSeTeUe??....
>
> **.......vvvv????vv2007 Helvetia Contest HB9BSL
>  Band    Date    Time  QSO#  Call worked   Sent Rcvd Rcvd   Qth
> Mults   Pts
>  ----    ----    ----  ----  -----------   ---- ---- ----  -----
> -----   ---
>  40SSB 29-Apr-07 12:08  651  PD0LDC         59   59
> 14                    1
>

> *After QSO 651 all was OK but in the mean time I lost 222 QSO's!
>
> What did I wrong?
> What can I do?
> Can somebody help?

There isn't enough information to really know what, if anything was done
wrong.  It would appear that you had some kind of disk write error (or a
disk read error and then the bad data was written to the drive).  This
does happen - rarely - and isn't necessarily anything that TR had anything
to do with.

You might find snippets of the real log in random disk sectors.  This takes
a lot of time and if you have a very large drive - the tools might not be
up to doing this.

Also - it is possible some information is in the restart file (*.RST).
You can use POST to dump out the data in this file and see if it helps.
You might find the calls that you worked at least.

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net