Re: [Trlog] [N1MM] Re: MASTER.DTA vs Call History in N1MM?

To: N1MMLogger@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] [N1MM] Re: MASTER.DTA vs Call History in N1MM?
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:23:06 -0500
Howie N4AF wrote:
> Under n1mm.com in the download section under Other Files you should
> fine Makehistory.exe.  It was designed for just that type of operation.

Thanks Howie, but as I said in my post...
... N4AF's MakeHistory program would be useful if I was importing from
individual contest [log] files, but I am trying to convert an entire
TRMASTER.DTA file, which is a totally different animal. ...

In other words, I am not importing individual contest logs, but I'm
trying to import an entire TRMASTER database.  I did see that the
Makehistory program could do the job IF the TRMASTER ASCII data was
consistent with respect to field positions, but unfortunately it is not.
This is the same reason that I have not been able to reformat it within
a speradsheet successfully.

Alan M0DAL wrote:
> It looks as though you could import it into Excel as a text file but
> use the custom delimiter of the = sign to separate the fields. Then
> save the data as a CSV file which Thucydides can handle.

I spent some time with the TRMASTER ASCII version in a spreadsheet,
and I tried many different delimiter permutations. I could not get
the data into a useful format. Again, the main problem is that the
TRMASTER ASCII data format is not consistent with respect to field
positions. For example, the NAME field might appear in the 2nd, 3rd,
4th or 5th field position depending on what other data is (or is not)
present. Here is an example of the data:

PA3AAV =C14 =H14 =I27 =QPA
OH7AAC =H1
JA9AA =C25 =H3
JA7YAA =C25 =H6
JA3AA =C25 =H6 =I45
JA1AAT =H1
DJ7AA =C14 =H3
7J1AAI =C25 =H5 =I45
AA0CY =ANv =H36 =K63 =NBOB =QPa
AA1CE =NDAVE =QRi
AA1MI =NPAUL =QNh

I hope this clears up the point at which I am stuck.
Perhaps a spreadsheet guru can point me in the right direction.

Thanks again,

-Kirk  K4RO