Re: [Trlog] Set Up Question

To: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Set Up Question
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 07:18:26 -0800
On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 07:17:13AM -0600, Jim George N3BB wrote:
> This did work, however I had to delete my "RST" file and let the program
> restart in its own creating a new "RST" file. The old one was preventing TR
> from counting the mults in the correct (by band) manner. I don't understand
> the RST file, and have had to delete it and restart the program again on
> occasion for it to include other changes. Perhaps someone can explain what
> it does and why this is necessary.

Tree would of course know all the details, but it's basically a cache that
stores things like all the QSO totals, mult totals, settings, etc. so that
if you restart in the middle of a contest, the program does not need to
rescan the configuration files or (worse) the entire log to get you back
up and running with all your settings and an accurate score and mults-needed
display.  If the file is missing, it will rescan the configs and log (and
rebuild a restart.bin file for next time).  It's value may have been more
important in the days of 15MHz 286s than today's very fast processors.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim N3BB
>
> At 01:34 PM 12/14/2007 -0600, Jim George wrote:
> >I had forgotten that W0YK et al have a simple setup in the NCCC site for
> >the NS, with this specific link for the TR instructions:
> >
> >http://www.ncccsprint.com/tr-log.htm
> >
> >This should work.
> >
> >I'll go back and confirm it's this way (excluding the TRMASTER pre-fill
> >data which I do not use) in my cfg file for the NS. I also developed my own
> >"standard.cfg" file which I import and use with all contests for the colors
> >and SO2R operation. I "improved" it recently and something tells me that I
> >have got something in there that somehow modifies the instructions in the
> >W0YK guidelines mentioned above.
> >
> >Thanks to W9RE for the help.
> >
> >Jim N3BB

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R