Re: [Trlog] trlinux 0.44 and upcoming ARRL10M 2015

To: Glenn Scott <wa4aos@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] trlinux 0.44 and upcoming ARRL10M 2015
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 10:26:23 -0800
>  Let me ask a question, OK, dumb question... I still have an old DOS
> system I keep for running TRlog.  I have not kept up with the TR
> post in a while but is it true that TRlog is now available under
> Linux as TRlunix??

Yes.

And it works well.
All of my contesting is with it for the last 2+ years.
N9RV and W9RE also using it to make a lot of contacts.
K5OT as well - often from my station at OT or TR.

http://www.kkn.net/trlinux/

It supports the K1EL winkey, the YCCC SO2R box, packet and multi
computer networking using the linux networking tools and has soundcard
support for voicekeyers.  There are also other ways to get voice
keyers working if needed.

It is very much like using TR-Log in DOS in that it runs in an Xterm
window in a console fashion so it looks like you are running in in a
DOS window or similar.

I like it because I did not want to have to support a windows
computer.  I use OSX or Linux (my day job is as a linux / OSX system
admin) and I was getting to the point that I was worried about the
hardware I was using to keep my old DOS install going.  It is great to
have USB support and real networking and be able to run TR-Log on
modern hardware.

> If TRlog now runs under Linux this is GREAT news... Is there a fee?

No fee.

And the code is open source now - A big thank you to Tree for allowing that to
happen.

There is a github repo here:

Github source repository

https://github.com/trlinux/trlinux

Kevin - W9CF has done all of the linux porting work - I am sure he
would welcome some help.  I have poked at the source code a few times
to track down places to make changes and can compile it and get a
working copy but I am not a programmer.

I can not thank W9CF enough for helping me out often without much time
before a contest to get something working.

> One more question. Is DOS TRlog still supported or is it now a dead product?

There has been very little support - Tree can answer that better than
I - he has done a few things over the year but not much.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net