Re: [Trlog] TRLog Linux Operation with HAL DXP38 Modem

To: "Wayne, W0ZW" <w0zw@fastmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] TRLog Linux Operation with HAL DXP38 Modem
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 11:28:54 -0700
So - I will try to shed some light on some of this.

1.  Can a control sequence be embedded in a TRLog function key message
which is then passed through to the RTTY TNC?  It appears that CW messages
accept only a handful of Control characters which are interpreted by
TRLog.  What happens when other Control characters or non-printing
characters are included in a message?  Are these ignored and sent to the
bit bucket?

I don't think there is a way to embed a message within a function key
message that can be sent to the RTTY port.  You can do this to send to a
radio interface port.

Any character that isn't is some kind of command prefix and doesn't map to
a CW character is just ignored.

2.  Does TRLog RTTY operation assume explicit Transmit On/Off control by
RTTY SEND STRING and RTTY RECIEVE STRING?  In other words, is the DXP38
default operation of enabling Transmit upon receiving any non-command
character incompatible with the TRLog RTTY mode operation?

Well - when it was originally programmed - you had to send a control-T to
the TNC to get it to go into transmit.  That is the default for the RTTY
SEND STRING.  Control-R is the default for the RTTY RECEIVE STRING.  I
guess you can set the send string to nothing (RTTY SEND STRING =).  And
perhaps that does what you want.

4.  Can a new LOGCFG command be created for setting the serial data rate
for the serial connection to the external TNC?

Yes.

5.  Is there an interest in potentially modifying code in order to support
TRLog Linux operation with the DXP38?  If so I would be happy to provide
user testing of software changes on my system.

I guess I am not sure what would need to be changed other than #4?

BTW - I have been using TR Log with RTTY on a K4 quite a bit.  It's all low
tech.  The RTTY transmissions are sent using the KY serial command.  You
type in callsigns and exchanges manually using your eyes on the radio.  But
it works well enough to do 2BSIQ and run some pretty good rates.

Tree