Re: [Trlog] TRlinux on WSL?

To: TRlog list <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] TRlinux on WSL?
From: Brett Graham via Trlog <trlog@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 00:14:59 +0000
N6TR replied to VR2BG's question about running TRlinux on W10 WSL:

Interesting question from an even more interesting person!

Roger the former - dunno about the latter though, mate...

Until you posted this - I had no idea what WSL was. Perhaps I will
give this a try at some point.

However, I am really not aware of any reason why it won't work.
Unlike the TR Dos version, TR Linux is not accessing the hardware
components and does everything through the Linux operating system
(unless there is something lurking that I haven't found that W9CF
knows about).  Therefore, assuming the implementation of WSL is really
Linux (and I would think it is) - there shouldn't be a problem.

You might have to recompile the program under WSL as the binary we
distribute might have some compatibility issues.

Previously, I had looked for the compiled versions said to exist on
Github in order have a go with POST on one of my clunker Linux machines
I SWL with here, so that I could update my TRMASTER file from recent
logs now that I can do a bit of operating remote with TR4W.  But there's
only source code for recent releases.

When I found out about WSL, I figured maybe I could not only have an
updated TRMASTER file, but also a working bandmap (TR4W's is broken) &
shift keys (an unfortunate ergonomic mutation of TR4W to make it like
N1MM) - and also run everything necessary for remote that requires
Windows.  That would be skookum!

Reading the fine print - I see there are two versions of WSL
availalbe, and only the first version can be used with Win10.  The
second version sounds like it has a better chance of working without
recompiling.

Sadly, the new daily driver machine here isn't gonna do W11.

One problem I have no idea how it is resolved has to do with using \
or / with filenames.

That's recently become an issue in the world of FT*, so will have to
follow the chatter about that.

I know just enough about Linux to realise I'm dangerous.  This should be
fun...

73, VR2BG.