FW: Scout User Impressions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: Scout User Impressions
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 10 May 1996 10:07:02 -0500
To: montaw@inforamp.net; ten tec
From: rohre on Fri, May 10, 1996 10:01 AM
Subject: RE: Scout User Impressions

Wayne,
I have had a Scout for about 3 years.  There are no pops in the the AGC, the S
meter works very smoothly, and by ear accurately, ie. an s7 sig on the meter
is by ear an s7.  The stiff tuning is an advantage for mobile.  It is very
stable as long as you have a good DC source, ie. there is a voltage regulator,
but it must have about 3 volt differential, just like any of the common three
terminal regulators.  The audio on SSB gets rave reports.  The Jones filter is
a dream, and continuosly adjustable to as tight as I like and more so.

It is stable, and if you follow the directions, the frequency correction works
well on both CW and SSB.  You have to pause on CW from time to time to let the
frequency system work, but most would pause anyway, except for long winded
high speed 60 wpm code folks, of which there are not many!

I prefer the basic radio as I get older and less well sighted to notice some
little switch or key not set!

Yes, I would buy it again.  Its intermod performance is quite good, it makes a
better contest radio than for example the Kenwood TS 50 (terrible intermod).

It has few to none birdies.  It really delivers a lot of fun for the money,
and can go from 50 watts to QRP with the turn of a pot.

It hears any signal my TS 450 hears, or better.  Its noise limiter works no
better than that of TS 450, which of course, does not work as well as DSP, but
then it is a simple limiter.

It even works at very low battery voltages, where the regulator is dropping
out, which amazed me.  Of course, you should not transmit when the battery is
too low to supply the regulator, for your signal would drift, like I mean 9
volts on a car battery!

Hope I did not leave out anything.

73, Stuart K5KVH
rohre@arlut.utexas.edu