Ten Tec service manuals.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Ten Tec service manuals.
From: yee@mipg.upenn.edu (Conway Yee)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 17:37:50 -0400
Currently, I own a Yaesu FT101E and a TenTec Corsair II.  I have found
both rigs to be fairly easy to work in but I have a couple of comments
that MAY spark an interesting discussion.  Hopefully, there are a
number of people on this list who enjoy taking apart their toys.

These are factors which are near and dear to me when choosing amateur
gear.  Unfortunately, I can not use newer TenTec or Japanese gear as
examples since I don't own any and have never popped the hood on them.

On the plus side for the Corsair manual is that it comes with the
service manual along with the service manual in a single volume.  It
must be purchased separately for the Yaesu 101 series.  On the other
hand, the Yaesu manual is better written and MUCH more useful.  the
101 service manual is simply much more detailed.  This is especially
evident considering when the 101 came out and the tendency of Japanese
manuals to be written an Janglish (at that time).  I have found
troubleshooting my 101 to be a much easier task than the Corsair but
that may have been the nature of the problems vs. the thoroughness of
the manuals.

Comments?