Hercules II overdrive problem solved

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Hercules II overdrive problem solved
From: zettel@homer.libby.org (Steve Zettel)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:33:55 -0600
A few weeks back I wrote the reflector for help with a problem concerning a
Hercules II amplifier I had sold. It worked FB in SSB for the new owner
driving it with an Omni VI, but in CW it went into overdrive unless the RF
gain on the Omni VI was turned down so low that the net power out of the
amp was 150W. It hadn't done that with my Omni VI.

Today I received the good news from the new owner:

>Hi Steve:
>
>Good news !! You'll never believe what I did.  I got to reading the
>Ten-Tec brochure re: the pwer supply for the Hercules. It stated that
>(besides its specs) you could use a "deep cycle" battery with a charger
>ready to charge up. SO... I goes to Sam's (a local discount store) and
>buy a marine deep cycle battery. Come home, hook it up to rig, in place
>of the big commercial power supply, and ... viola ! no overdrive !!!,
>ebven on CW at full drive.  How about that ?  So all I have to do is
>either use this here battry, or breakdown and buy your power supply.
>Anyway, I am relieved that I don't have to send it to T-T, although they
>told me that they could get it turned around in about one week.  Thought
>you would like some good news. Now we know that the voltage and current
>do have to be regulated to a degree that does not allow fluctuations,
>which my military supply apparently was doing, even tho the meters
>showed steady voltage and current.  The battery is acting like a
>"rectifier" filtering out the ripple, which your supply apparently has
>built in.

I had always run the Hercules from either a deep-cycle battery or the Ten
Tec (monster) power supply, which is probably why I had never experienced
the problem.

Thank you all for your help, and 73 to all,

Steve Zettel  KJ7CH                             kj7ch@libby.org