PTO Rebuild follow up

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: PTO Rebuild follow up
From: psikes@whidbey.net (Phil Sikes)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 18:40:29 -8
Hello to the group.

Well, I had time today to do the PTO rebuild. As one gent said,
"The first one took about 2 hours". That's about how
long it took me from start to finish. Everything you need to do the
job is in the parts kit from Ten Tec.  Now I no longer have warbles
in my audio when tuning someone in.  The only negative things I have
to mention concern the written directions for the kit. Step one says
"Remove the PTO box from the rig". No mention of how to go about this
onerous task at all. I have been an electronics tech for about 30
years now, so I didn't have a whole lot of trouble identifying the
PTO. For the less technically inclined, a little more description of
how to remove the PTO would be in order. One step you need to perform
is not mentioned in the write up at all. To disassemble the PTO for
rebuild, you have to remove the top cover of the PTO box!! I am a real
stickler when it comes to following directions, and when it came time to
start removing parts, I couldn't even locate them due to the cover still
being in place.

Try and have a helper around when you install the kit! Some of the steps
are much easier to perform with 2 people. Besides, it givves you someone
to talk to while you are doing the job. Lastly, read the directions a few times
while studying the diagram supplied with the kit. If you understand what it
is you are about to tackle, it makes it a whole lot easier.

To remove the PTO from the rig:
Remove the tuning knob as described in the Corsair II owners manual.
Behind the tuning dial skirt you will see 2 screws. Loosen both
screws, but DO NOT REMOVE them. These two screws have a kind of
safety pin attached and are a real bear to get back in place if
removed (experience from today). As the screws come loose, hold onto
the PTO box so it doesn't drop.

Good luck to those of you that are about to start this process. It is
not all that hard to do, and well worth the effort. Thanks to all of
you who were kind enough to email me with things to watch out for.

73 - Phil
Amateur Radio Station
KJ7NS
ARCI 9196:NWQRP 412:QRP-L 528