Omni VI/Heil Microphone (Recap)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Omni VI/Heil Microphone (Recap)
From: ashworth@hevanet.com (Dennis / Vivian Ashworth)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 21:04:56 -0800
Thanks for the 2 dozen + direct and reflector responses to my posting
regarding use of Heil microphones with the Omni VI. As many responses were
sent directly, let me briefly summarize:

1. Which Element:

Both Heil -4 elements (optimized for pile up busting) and -5 elements (wider
response) reportedly function well with the Omni series. However, most
respondents reported "better audio" reports with the -5. This seem
consistent with on the air comparisons I have monitored (albeit subjective).
I think I'll focus on the -5.

2. Audio Output Level:

There were comments regarding the relatively low audio output of the Heil.
However, this caused no functional problem as the Omni VI provides plenty of
microphone audio drive. I am a little less clear concerning VOX
functionality (a problem with my current -54db mic). Having looked at the
Omni VI VOX amplifier, I believe I can increase the VOX gain enough to
compensate for lower audio drive levels, if necessary.

3. Which cable to order:

I believe I heard all possible permutations of adapters, patches, etc to
accomplish mating the mic to the radio. There apparently is a cable
available from Heil, and selected distributors, which is wired specifically
for the Omni. Where I admire the creativeness of some reported solutions,
I'll resist temptation and purchase the "clean solution".

Again, thanks for the help. The response was overwhelming and greatly
appreciated.

Dennis, K7FL
Oregon City, OR
ashworth@hevanet.com