Ten Tec S-meter readings

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Ten Tec S-meter readings
From: cbrudtk@uswest.com (Chuck Brudtkuhl)
Date: 6 Dec 1996 10:18:22 -0600
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               Ten Tec S-meter readings

A message regarding Omni-VI mods reminded me of a question I have.

(Preamble...I need no flames about this concern on S-meter readings...hi.  It
is as much a curiosity factor as anything.)

I have used a Cubic 103 for quite a few years as my main station rig.  The
first major Ten Tec rig I added was the Omni-V.  I immediately noticed a major
disparity in S-meter readings between the Cubic and the Omni.  I have been
confident of the Cubic reading since I aligned that rig myself on my bench to
Cubic specs.  BUT, I recently picked up a Corsair II .... its S-meter appears
to more closely match the Omni than the Cubic...which of course makes me start
wondering about the Cubic...until I recently picked up another mint Cubic.....
you guess it....it tracks with the "old" Cubic.  Ok.... if I recall without
consulting the shop manual (and its been several years since I did), the Cubic
is calibrated at 14.2 MHz, with a 50K uV signal providing a S-9.  Would anyone
have the same calibration spec for the Ten Tec radio's?  Oh....the Ten Tec
meter readings are a lot higher than the Cubic... between 10 and 20db,
appearing to be closer to the 20db end.
I have not bench checked the actual disparity as it really isn't that
important to me....

Again, this is not really that important...just a curiosity...but there is a
drastic difference between the two vendors' radios for some reason.  And I
also consider Cubic to be "top-o-line". (If one could add a few of the Cubic
features, e.g. adjustable I.F. gain, continuously variable AGC, etc., to a Ten
Tec you'd have the "perfect" radio in my opinion.  ESPECIALLY THE ADJUSTABLE
I.F. GAIN... WHAT A TOOL!!!!!).

73 de Chuck
WA0ROI

--