Scout/Argo drift

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Scout/Argo drift
From: cbrudtk@uswest.com (Chuck Brudtkuhl)
Date: 9 Dec 1996 08:23:55 -0600
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               RE>Scout/Argo drift

I've had my Scout for quite a long time and have noticed no abnormal drift
activity.  I use it mobile, and here in IA that means I turn it on at -10F at
times, and at +100F at other times.  The major thing I have noticed under
these circumstances is that if I was on 3.970 MHz when I turned the radio off
after the morning mobile, it may be on 3.9716 MHz or so when I turn it on cold
in the evening.  I then put it where I want it and it basically doesn't move
noticably. Sure beats the pants off my prior mobile rigs (TS-120 & TS-130
Kenwooods) in terms of stability!!!!  I had to constantly "chase" them until
they warmed up, and generally they weren't on the freq they said they were
when cold.  I have no complaints and have used it in many unusual situations.
It has a Samsonite suitcase "home" for travelling and has done alot of that.

I used it extensively under weird portable condtions in Europe this summer
with only one minor problem....that being that sometimes I was not getting
proper ALC indications on 75m (or at times NO ALC on 75m).  BUT, one must
remember that I was using end-fed wires thrown anywhere handy, these wires
always being much less than anything resonant on 75m, and usually had no good
ground available.  I proved the problem to be "grounding" by curing the
problem when it once appeared on 20m on the balcony of a 3rd floor apartment
in Salzburg, by using a WL/4 counterpoise as a ground.  I just never had room
for a 75m counterpoise and spent little time on that band anyway.

So, in summary, here is one very satisfied user.  And the sig reports I
receive are always excellent.  I doubt if I ever get rid of it.  [Put a set of
G4BPY (sub)miniature paddles with it and WOW!]

73 de Chuck
WA0ROI