Results of VE3EFJ Scout Drift "Cure"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Results of VE3EFJ Scout Drift "Cure"
From: mapn4dr@erols.com (Marc Pressman)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 18:25:45 -0500
I read with great interest the "cure" for the Ten Tec Scout drift
problem proposed by Wayne Montague, VE3EFJ on the Reflector on Nov 26.
I decided to try the first of his three possible mods, namely removing a
15 pf N1500 and replacing it with a 15 pf NPO. This has made a dramatic
difference in the stability of my Scouts's PTO. The FLS system is now
able to keep the VFO frequency within the stated tolerances, and I
notice that the "unlock" light does not come on after long periods of
high speed CW transmission. In addition, I have added a fan to the heat
sink and this has further improved stability. The modification is really
quite simple if you take your time, and I used a Radio Shack 15 pf NPO
from a multipack (!). Drift still occurs but it is really almost
undetectable and the FLS is much more effective now. I reccommend this
mod to any Scout owner with this problem. If it doesn't work, its easy
to restore the rig to its original condition.
Good Luck

73 and Happy New Year.

Marc Pressman, N4DR
mapn4dr@erols.com