Paragon I audio Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Paragon I audio Problem
From: rsellers@mail.rkd.snds.com (Roger Sellers)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 17:18:42 -0600
 Hello all Ten Tec fans,
  I have a question regarding my Paragon I, I expect the answer will be to
send it in for service. But before I did that, I would inquire to the collective
wisdom of this sig.

  I appear to have an intermittent low audio situation. I have a Paragon I
connected to a MFJ tuner (492e?) and using a G5RV dipole and MFJ
1972 (?) multi-band vertical antenna. When I go to change bands, I press
the tuner button on the Paragon, and change settings on the MFJ tuner.
When I release the tuner button on the radio, I hear audio loud and clear
on the speaker. In about a half second it drops to next to nothing. If I
retune (a little finer) and release tuner button, the audio level picks back
up but usually not as strong as when the button was initially released.

   The antenna was check at time of installation ( month or so ago) and
was typically 1.5:1 or less on most bands including 2 meters. My G5RV
was good 10-40 meters HF and on 2 meters. I have put a duplexer on the
MFJ but have since removed it in trying to isolate the problem.

    Sometimes while tuning, I noticed the radio would have a slight snap
sound and the meters dropped to near 0, and returned to where they
were. And there is almost always a high level of noise on the audio.

   Please bear in mind there is a high level of newbie activity here. I have
had the radio (used) about 3 months and listening to HF about 2 months.
I'm no electronic wiz, but I did manage to install filters, voice board, and
rs-232 board connected to computer.

  I like the radio but feel something is not quite right. Any comments or
suggestions (including sent it in to T-T)??? Prefer to have responses
sent to my home e-mail to keep sig traffic down, but will appreciate any
replies here.  Thanks in advance!

73,
Roger Sellers
Technical Support Administrator