Greetings! Thoughts?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Greetings! Thoughts?
From: phelbert@rica.net (Paul, Wv3j)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 18:37:46 -0700
Greetings,

I built the 1220 last February, right after it came out.  Narry a problem.
You'll need a voltmeter and maybe a nearby 2 meter rig (have another ham
come over for coffee with his handheld.)  You need to have patience enough
to not rush things and to double and tripple check everything as you go.
You need a space the size of half a card table that other people will not
disturb for a week or ten days.  You need really good lighting, some
highlighers to mark off stuff on the parts placement diagram as you go
along, and a whole week of evenings (don't try to do it all in one marathon
sitting.)  You'll want a couple of minicell foam blocks for the logical
arrangement of parts, solder wick, a sponge, a 25 watt soldering iron with a
small tip, an extra tip, and a pencil eraser.

Before you start go to Kinko's and photocopy the schematic and parts
placement diagrams with one side reversed from the way that it is supplied.
This is to allow you to flip the page over around its horizontal axis rather
than the long way (around its verticle axis).  You might also want to
photocopy the drawings at the beginning of each section so that you can
always have them beside the text even when you are working on one of the
later pages in the section.

My 1220 has worked perfectly from day seven!  I thought I'd start building
right away but spent a couple of days reading the manual.  It is A-1.  The
theory section should be incorporated in the ARRL handbook.  Its really a
great read.

73,

Paul Helbert - Wv3j

--