Audio AGC pop - summary

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Audio AGC pop - summary
From: cooper@gmpvt.com (Tom Cooper)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:30:08 -0500
Thanks to all who replied.  I guess I'm not the only one
with sensitive ears!

In summary, by the time the audio signal can go through enough
cycles (Hertzs?) to charge the AGC cap, some unattenuated signal
gets through, causing the pop.  "Solid State Design for the
Radio Amateur" discusses the problem in detail.

The choice of solutions includes the following:

1.  Derive the AGC voltage from RF rather than AF.

2.  Use an audio compressor/limiter to control the pop.

3.  Get an OMNI V or VI, or a Paragon I or II.

4.  Don't be such a sensitive wuss.

I installed #2, built using an SSM2165, just before the volume
control in my Omni A, and it seems to do the job for me.  After I
use it a while, if it still satisfies, I'll write something up.

73,

Tom W1EAT

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html