OMNI VII

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: OMNI VII
From: ws7u@dns.ida.net (Rob C. Kontes)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 20:27:41 +0000
Greetings fellow TT fanatics,

        Since everybody has an opinion concerning a future Omni 7, I'll throw in
mine for what it is worth.
        First of all, I could care less what color you paint it, so I leave
that to
who ever can't sleep nights knowing that their rig doesn't match the drapes
and carpet.
        Yes a larger more versatile meter would be appreciated.  Keep it
analog...
None of this digital bar graph nonsense.  I watched back in the 70's as LCD
watches became the only kind you could buy.  Eventually Timex and the gang
got the message and now a nice analog offering is available again.
        Keep the power supplies and tuners out of the transceiver case.  All
this
does is add weight, noise, heat, compromise and complexity.
        Spend a little extra time in the R&D process and eliminate some of the
birdies and low level mixing products in the VFO chain.  A personal
preference would be to allow the continuous (not just limited to fast/slow)
real time tailoring of the AGC circuit.  Also some improvement could be made
in BCB rejection for those unfortunate enough to live within 10 miles of a
50 kw clear channel AM station.
        IF-DSP would be a nice feature but it will have to be something better
implemented and more functional than KenYaeCom currently does.  Here again,
keep the noise to a minimum (as in non existent) or don't even bother.
There are plenty of outboard audio DSP units to take up the slack if you
just can't live without one.
        A built in contest memory keyer with serial number incrementation would
be
a nice addition in the bells and whistles category, but again, only if it
does not introduce any CPU whine in the receiver.
        A transmit audio monitoring circuit would be a very welcome addition.
        Don't include 6 meters so as to provide the engineers with the greatest
possible selection in RF final components for extreme duty and high
efficiency operation.  Instead, include some direct jacks on the back for
I/O access to the IF strip for the purpose of transverter options.  Then
supply the optional transverters for the various VHF, UHF bands.  The goal
should be to make the next Omni platform a versatile component driven system
so that an individual can buy only what he needs for his interests.
        Gentlemen, if you really want internal tuners, power supplies, designer
enclosures that require a magnifying glass and a degree in computer science
to operate, mediocre transmit and receive coverage from DC to subspace and
beyond,  and digital bells and whistles till the cows come home, go out and
buy a rice box from the boys in Asia.  Ten Tec is the ONLY manufacturer that
provides a real radio for real money.  After owning or operating every radio
currently on the market under extreme contest conditions, I can tell you
that the Omni 6 is still far superior in down to earth, hard core receiver
performance.  Let us not get side tracked into the digital wrist watch
mentality.  I have enough power and antenna at my QTH to work anybody on any
band any where.  Hearing them, well, there is always room for improvement in
that category.  Very 73, Rob WS7U

Flame mail and comments will be graciously accepted at ws7u@ida.net

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html