FW: [TenTec] A Scout Question... (fwd)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [TenTec] A Scout Question... (fwd)
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 3 Mar 1997 13:11:59 -0600
To: Paul R. Valko; tentec list
From: rohre on Mon, Mar 3, 1997 11:52 AM
Subject: RE: [TenTec] A Scout Question... (fwd)

At lowest volume setting; the cpu does whine when I listen on headphones on my
Scout; but you might check and see if grounding is all correct, or even take
it loose from your station ground and check.  Also, if still there at normal
volume levels, check the quality of filtering from your power supply.

I prefer to twist my power leads as a form of noise cancellation.

Try another adequately rated power supply;  even a one amp one should work on
receive, or try a gel cell or car battery.  Do all this without anything on
the antenna connector but a direct connection to a dummy load.

That all should define if the problem resides within the radio.  With some low
impedance values of head phones, this whine can be objectionable on normal
Scouts.  You may need higher impedance headphones for best results.  I have
used 2000 and 15000 older style headphones with great results.  Your post
though says it was there on the speaker, and I never hear it on the built in
speaker.

If the whine should persist with all the tests outlined, you have perhaps a
problem with internal wiring of the radio, or bypass capacitors.  Check the
continuity of all connectors, around the microprocessor area, by reseating
them.  Same for all high current 12 volt lines, and audio connections which
may plug in to boards.

After all that, maybe a phone call to Ten Tec service will give further ideas.

73, Stuart K5KVH

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html