[TenTec] Ten-Tec 540 (Triton IV) stuck dial

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 540 (Triton IV) stuck dial
From: wallace@world.std.com (Andy Wallace)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 16:34:21 GMT
A friend has lent me a Ten-Tec Triton IV (model 540) to check out.
When I got it, the tuning knob spun, but the dial moved very
sluggishly. I thought the dial cord had loosened over time.

That's not the case. The dial cord seems fine, but it's the VFO
bearings which are sluggish. The outer shaft (which is the "coarse"
tuning) turns with much difficulty, but it does move the dial from one
end to the other. The inner "fine" tune shaft spins without doing
anything.

Any ideas? Am I just up against old grease here? The thing looks
sealed...is there a way for me to lubricate it without sending it back
to Ten-Tec?

Any help appreciated!

--Andy
wallace@world.std.com