[TenTec] OMNI VI PLUS Review

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI PLUS Review
From: talbot@kmrmail.kmr.ll.mit.edu (George Arthur Talbot)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 97 15:12:02+120
>Hey Gang,
<snip>
>I was so impressed with the Paragon,  I actually considered canceling my
>Plus order.
>
>When the PLUS arrived I compared them side by side.

<snip>
> 2. The signals stand out from the background noise. The received signals
> are very clear and crisp, they sound noticeably "muddier" on the
> Paragon.  This is non DSP mode.
>
> 3. When tuning SSB, I have always had difficulty finding the "sweet spot"
> where op's I have met personally sound like they ought to. The PLUS
> was easy, with superb audio reproduction.  Much better
> than the Paragon.

<snip>
>Am I going to sell the Paragon?  Heck no!  It's an excellent radio, and had
>me convinced it was the best I ever had.  It compliments the PLUS, what one
>doesn't do, the other does.  Of course they look really nice next to each
other.

>I am convinced I have the best radio in the world.
>                            73
>
>                           Jay W7CW in Gillette, Wyoming

Jay,

You might try the Pass Band Tuning Alignment (an internal Adjustment of a
resistor as I recall). I have had trouble with my Paragon One with some
asymmetry in the tuning of the passband (it would tune further on the high
side of the passband than it would on the lower side). Is your front panel
passband tuning knob in the center of it's rotation when you find the 'sweet
spot' in the 2.4 KHz bandwidth? Does it make a difference if you open up the
bandwidth to 6.0 KHz? Both of you try switching to USB and see if there is
any difference.

I must get my Paragon Manual back from St. Helena! (That will teach me to
loan a rig with the book).

73,

George V73GT

PS. I always enjoy e-communication with you!

PSS. What kind of computer and operating system do youu have?