[TenTec] use of DSP units with TT QSK transceivers (Omni-B/C)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] use of DSP units with TT QSK transceivers (Omni-B/C)
From: dcalvin@VNET.IBM.COM (dcalvin@VNET.IBM.COM)
Date: 23 Jun 1997 12:53:41 CDT
I have a JPS NIR-12.  It is an *excellent* unit.  The Timewave 599-ZX
is almost equivalent, but in the head to head comparison I participated
in, the TW product didn't do as effective a job.  Now for the QSK
question.  I use QSK all the time with my IC-765 (yes, there are other
excellent rigs that run QSK!), but, I have found that the NIR mode on the
NIR-12 is the least-used mode for me.  I use the "dynamic peaking" mode
100% of the time - it is a similar frequency-domain processing to what TW
uses as their only mode.  I've found that on occasion the NIR mode is
more useful, but it is the one which introduces the time delay.  So for
me, the time delay has rarely proven to be a problem.  JPS does allow for
switching of the processing via the T/R switch circuit, but when I
discussed this with them, they recommended no using it for QSK.  Not the
best answer, but considering the NIR-12 is probably the best one can
currently obtain, I'll live with it.  (One could devise an switching
scheme which would allow T/R switching during semi-breakin use, but not
during QSK, but some manual input would be required.  Otherwise, just
turning off the NIR mode while going QSK would suffice.)  Remember, on
the other product you don't even get the option of this noise reduction
technique...   Hope this is useful.

  Duane       73, de AC5AA

Duane A. Calvin
Tie: 793-3368 or lab 3-8731