[TenTec] the Drifters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] the Drifters
From: BEAMERJA@lbh.panamsat.com (Jay A Beamer)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 14:39:00 +0000
           ***Message delivered from cc:Mail***

From:    Jay A Beamer@4H-MAILC05
To:      smtp:TenTec@contesting.com

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: 6/27/97 7:39AM
Subject: the Drifters
I agree with you, Bill. the compensating caps selected, by Ten-Tec design,
should do their thing once reaching a nominal operating temp. Of course there
are manufacturing tolerances which would explain some drift in some rigs but
this is a problem which affects virtually all pre OMNI V tranceivers. We also
all agree that ambient temperature is going to have an affect on any radio,
whether it be Kenmore, Yehho, or Ten-Tec. During the manufacture of any of
these
radios, pre OMNI V, the drift was probably acceptable based on the technology
of
the time. I couldn't say personally because I've only been liscensed for 5
years. Now with our current technology, our old radios and there drifting are
less acceptable. Just a thought, but has anyone ever considered the mechanical
stability of these PTOs? The mechanical stability will also be affected by
temperature.Take a moment some time, get out your biggest magnifying glass,
turn
the dial on your Corsair II or OMNI C, and just watch the dial skirt.

One would think that their compensation caps would be designed to do there
thing after the unit had reached a nominal operating temp. This would be
tested by disableing the up circuit and putting the rig in a temp
controlled environment, changing the temp and monitoring the frq. Is it
your take that they have not chosen the right caps for this task?

Bill Ames
KB1LG