[TenTec] OMNI VI Plus upgrade

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI Plus upgrade
From: sales@tentec.com (Ten-Tec, Inc.)
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 11:59:25 Eastern Daylight Time
At 08:34 PM 8/6/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I called TT and a very nice women said hang on, DON'T send it US mail
>and FEDEX is uncertain..
>The woman assured me that I would not lose my place in line. I
>thanked her and said that they must be going nuts trying to run a
>mail order business with UPS on strike...
>
>I'm really surprised at my fellow hams.....in my experience the TT
>people have always been courteous and helpful, they are not
>responsible for the strike and there is no reason to take it out on
>them.
>
>I'm sure it wasn't anyone here on the reflector.
>
>Impatiently waiting,
>Jim WB2TPS

Hi Jim (and all):

Certainly the UPS strike is causing some difficulty for us with
outgoing rigs, incoming rigs, parts, etc.

We are, of course, open for business and have a few options:
For anything except big transceivers or linear amplifiers, we can ship
U.S. mail without any difficulty.  We are concerned about the potential
for damage using the U.S. mail system for the big rigs and are
refraining from doing so.

We have a number of option 3 rigs that are finished and awaiting UPS
delivery.  We have mailed letters out this week to anyone who has
sent a rig for the upgrade that is now here waiting at the factory
to go back out, indicating the rig is done and is here with us.

We can ship outgoing transceivers by Fed Ex 2nd day service.  For
option 3 we will cover the first $20.00 of shipping, and generally
it runs $40.00 total for Fed Ex 2nd day on a transceiver.  For a
purchase of an transceiver, you have the option of paying for the
Fed Ex service, or we can hold your order until UPS is ready to go
(no charge processed to your credit card until we are ready to send
it out, just as we do with all backorders).

There are two caveats:  First, Fed Ex is not making a guarantee of
two day service, meaning it will get to you eventually.  Some of our
Fed Ex's have been making it on time; the worst one we have seen so
far was five business days.  Second, as we are in a rural area,
Fed Ex cannot make it by every day.  They have made it two of four
days this week to us to pick up and have indicated they will make it
today (Friday).  It's been the same way for Fed Ex delivery to us;
they haven't made it every day but have been by a couple of times
this week.

The bottom line is:  If you can get the transceiver here, we can find
a way to get it back to you but it may take a little more time and
money than UPS ground service.  We had scheduled 100 rigs for the
first two weeks of August for upgrade and about 1/3 of them have not
arrived for one reason or another.

Sincerely,
Scott Robbins, W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Parkway, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
  Contact Mon-Fri Eastern time:  Office/Tech (423) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
  Repair (423) 428-0364 8 am-4 pm.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
  Fax (423) 428-4483 24 hrs.  E-mail <sales@tentec.com> for sales and
  general product info only.  We presently do not offer repair or
  kit building tech support by electronic mail, please telephone.
  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>

  Ten-Tec manufactures amateur radio equipment, military and commerical
  use HF radio equipment, custom aluminum and steel enclosures and has an
  on-premises, fully equipped tool and die facility supplying the metal
  and plastic injection mold industries.  Potential tool and die, custom
  enclosure or communications electronics customer?  Contact us.
  We do small quantity jobs.