[TenTec] Re: Scout for mobile work -- comments

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Scout for mobile work -- comments
From: k5rov@worldnet.att.net (James Parsons)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:13:36 -0500
> - Some people have commented on the Scout's frequency instability at
>   high speed CW.  My Scout drifts badly at 40+ WPM, but I have never
>   had this problem when mobile, and I usually do 35 to 38 WPM.

I have owned three Scouts, at different times, and found them to be
great little rigs, except for the drift problem. The receiver is great,
and on SSB, the rig just could not be beat. I consistently got great
audio quality reports. The QSK is superior to the other brand rigs that
I own.

I agree with all your comments except for the drift problem. On SSB, I
never had complaints of drift. But, on CW, at any speed over 25 WPM, I
was told many times that I drifted right out of the bandpass of the
other fellow's receiver. I found that hard to believe, and tested it on
my FT-1000. Sure enough, With the sharp filter in, I did drift out of
the bandpass, unless I paused my sending to give the microprocessor time
to react (I guess). This drift occurred with all three Scouts, but one
was worse than the other two.

I have heard so many compliments concerning TenTec equipment that I have
been thinking about procuring a TT rig just to see what the fuss is all
about. But, it won't be another Scout, just because of the drift
problem. It surprises me that a Company so well known for outstanding CW
capability would put out a rig with such a CW problem. But, if they ever
cure that problem, I would by another Scout in a hurry.

73 de Jim, K5ROV
--

James (Jim), Parsons, K5ROV USAF, Ret.
k5rov@worldnet.att.net   QCWA, NWQRP, Fists, ARRL