[TenTec] 238 Antenna Tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 238 Antenna Tuner
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 18:56:38 -0400
Reid W Simmons wrote:

>    I would like some information on the 238 tuner.  I have an old
> Ten-Tec
>    catalog which seems to have conflicting information on this model.
> I would
>    like to get a an "L" network that matches my OMNI VI Line for use
> with a lone
>    (random) wire antenna.  The familiar "T" match circuits of antenna
> tuners
>    have problems.
>
>    1)  Is the frequency coverage 1.8 - 30 MHz  or  is it 1.8 - 20 MHz?

1.8 to 30mhz

>    2)  Is the Inductance 28uH or 19 uH?

18uH

>    3)  Is the circuit a configurable "L", or is it a fixed circuit?

Configurable

>    4)  What is the current price?

Used about $375 from the factory or $275 at hamfest. Not sure about new
price.

>    5)  Is anyone out there using one of these that can comment on it?

Looks great with the Omni V and VI. Matches anything up to at least 10:1
swr, any phase angle and up to 3000 ohms at 2kw. The variable capacitor
is rated for 3.5kv.I had a Nye Viking and like this better. Don't care
much for the swr meter though. It's the old fashion type you must
manually set the fwd first.No big deal since the rig's meter is easy to
use for dipping.

73 Steve N4LQ