[TenTec] Omni-6 Plus Upgrade

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-6 Plus Upgrade
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:28:13 -0400
I'm glad to hear a good negative report on dsp. Chester is absolutely
correct. Where dsp helps is when you have some old boatanchor radio with
a 6kc wide I.F. and hang the dsp on the audio output. For rigs with
filters like the Omni VI, dsp only makes things sound weird. On SSB with
the dsp turned on you will hear all kinds of spooky little sounds in the
background. I find these more distracting than QRN!

For CW, an MFJ 281 ClearTone speaker does far better to enhance cw than
any dsp I've ever tried and I've tried several.

As for RINGING......I've found that I can copy cw faster through TenTec
ladder filters than the Jap lattice filters. There is less ringing and
the TT filters tend to punctuate cw instead of engulfing it in a
quagmire of mush as do the JA filters.

Yes. Why should I want to listen to audio that has been chopped up,
processed and converted  when I can listen to the real thing?  Sorry if
I got carried away. Maybe I should be.

73 Steve N4LQ