[TenTec] Re: Omni 6, observations & questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Omni 6, observations & questions
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 19:34:37 -0400
Pete

Re sidetone delay in Omni VI

There is certainly a delay in the RF after keydown in the Omni VI as
there has been in all rigs since Timed Sequence Keying was first used
back in the 40's. I'm not sure how much delay the old Johnson Ranger had
but I suspect not quite as much as the modern rigs with their
microprocessors. Back in those days we often monitored our keying with
the receiver and naturally experienced a slight delay from the time that
the key was depressed until the speaker beeped but nowadays we must
include the delays for rx/tx changeover and rx recovery time.

I did not use a scope to test the sidetone delay but I'm quite certain
it exists. One of the techs at TT agreed with me on this matter and
acknowledged other complaints. This isn't the only rig with this
problem. The sidetone delay seems most obvious while using the internal
keyer. With an external keyer, the delay must be considerably less as I
hardly noticed it. It would be interesting if we could gather some specs
on this. Presently I use an Omni V so I can't be of much help.

73 N4LQ Steve