[TenTec] Building a 301

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Building a 301
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 18:39:30 -0500
On Wednesday, September 24, 1997 10:15 AM, Reid W
Simmons[SMTP:Reid_W_Simmons@ccm2.hf.intel.com] wrote:
>   Hi all;
>
>   I am embarking on a project to build a 301 remote tuning control for my
>   Omni 6.  I received the major parts (encoder and knob, etc.) from Ten Tec
>   yesterday.  However, Ten Tec is out of the cases used for the 301.  I have
>   found nothing commercially available (Hammond, Bud, some others) that
>   resembles the 301 case.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to what comes
>   close to the 301 case and where I can get one?  I really don't want to
>   "roll" my own even though the pattern is not that complex.

Reid,

I thought Radio Shack was carrying a line of sloped front boxes,
now.  You might check there.  Here in the Houston area, we have
a couple of stores called EPO (Electronics Parts Outlet).  They
carry a wide array of enclosures, even the Ten-Tec line.  Maybe
you have a similar electronics store(s) in your area.  Another
option is to contact Digikey (1-800-344-4539...just happen to have
their catalog on the desk here) or any of the other major parts
retailers.  There is a LMB Heeger Aluminum Enclosure in there
that measures 4"d x 3"w x 2"h (pretty close to the 301 case),
with a sloped front, part number L122-ND, $7.42 ea. They
range upwards in size to 15x15x5

You could, of course, roll your own out of wood.  That might be
pretty neat looking...AND you can make it any size you want....
like really small--When I assembled the parts for mine, I used
the 301 box and that is fine, but it could be smaller...like just
bigger than the diameter of the knob (I'm using an Omni like
knob).  Downside: your XYL will like the wood finish so much
that she will want all your equipment to be finished in wood,
including your radio!

If you need the wiring list, I'd be happy to send it to you...but,
you may already have that (you didn't indicate wiring it up would
be a problem).

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org