[TenTec] "Tuning" antennas; baluns

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "Tuning" antennas; baluns
From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ronald D Rossi)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:23:49 -0400
>>>Chester Alderman said:
>
> Your correct. Reflections from the ground will change the resonant frequency
> >of the antenna wires, be it a dipole type antenna or a loop type antenna.
> >LESSON: Always try to raise your antenna to the height that your going to
> use >it, and then cut it to the resonant frequency that you want. If you
> can't >reach the antenna, when it's at the height that you are going to
> operate it, >you can cut the transmission line (either coax or open wire
> line) to a half >wave length (or multiple half wave lengths), connect the
> transmission line to >the antenna, and measure the resonant frequency of the
> antenna, down at the >input to the transmission line. The reason you can do
> this is because the >impedance seen at one end of a half wave length line
> exactly repeats at the >other end.

I am really enjoying this thread. A bit of myth and legend sprinkled in with
fact and theory. Refreshingly off topic =:-) Anyway...

Won't the REFLECTIONs from ground change the pattern of the antenna, while the
capacitive COUPLING to ground will detune the antenna by acting as a linear
load of sorts?

--
73 de KK1L ex N1PBT...ron (rrossi@btv.ibm.com) <><
Ron Rossi H/P SRAM Engineering -- IBM Microelectronics