[TenTec] Omni V problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V problem
From: larrygibbs@ibm.net (Larry Gibbs)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 08:43:12 -0400

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
> Date: 9/29/97 12:37PM
> Subject: Omni V problem
> Hello everyone,
>
> Got a slight problem with an Omni V and a 250 Hz filter in the slot labeled
> 250
> (forget which IF this is). If I have an S9 cw signal then select the 250 Hz
> filter, the signal drops to about an S2. I've tried another filter in this
> position and it appears to work fine so it doesn't appear to be rig related.
> My
> guess is a filter problem. I've checked for cold solder joints on the filter
> board with no luck. Is there a common failure on these type of filters? Any
> suggestions?  Would hate to have to send it to Tenessee.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Jay, KM6VX
> Torrance, Ca.(310)366-7408

Jay,
I had a problem moving a filter from the Omni V to the VI Plus.
The filter worked in the V, but the same thing you describe
ocurred in the VI Plus.

Some suggested springing the pins of the filter to make a
better contact, but that did not work for me. What did work
was adding solder to the pins to make them thicker. The
problem seems to be lack of contact by all four pins. Also,
be sure the filter is pushed in far enough.

GUD LK ES 73, Larry W3UIO