[TenTec] Corasir II vs. Omni VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corasir II vs. Omni VI
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 13:57:38 -0700
Hey Lane!

> Is the Omni VI a better CW rig than the Corsair II??

If you are familiar with the Kenwood line, this is like
comparing the Kenwood TS 830S to the TS 940S.  They are
different animals.

The similarities are fairly good QSK (some prefer one to
the other, I must not go fast enough ... I stay below
30 wpm ...) and fairly good selectivity.

The OMNI VI offers 8 poles of extra selectivity in the 1st
IF, the Corsair only has the stock 8 pole SSB filter in
that 1st IF.  The 2nd IF holds the same filters.  The
Corsair has an audio VBT that is pretty nice, the OMNI VI
has an audio low pass filter that is not as useful as
bandpass.  They both have sharp PBT and notch filtering to
take out CW QRM.

For contesting, the OMNI VI has split operation, memories,
blah blah.  The Corsair is analog, and finding the external
VFO (I just found one and am happy about it!) is not always
easy.

Lane, come on up to Irvine and use my two rigs side by side
and see what you think!

Clark
WA3JPG