[TenTec] Centaur

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Centaur
From: k5rov@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (Jim Parsons)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 10:40:27 -0500
I have a new Centaur amplifier which I really do like. It is compact, has
QSK, is inexpensive, and is very easy to tune. Its really well worth the
money.

I have mentioned the VERY loud fan that can drive you crazy if you do not
wear headphones while operating. That will be changed when the amplifier is
no longer in warranty. I plan on slowing the fan down a bit.

There is one other problem that I have not yet figured how to deal with. It
is that durned clacking relay when operating QSK. Mine is quite loud and I
wonder if others find the same thing. Maybe I just have a noisy relay. If
not, I wonder how others are dealing with it. Between the fan and that
relay, the shack can sure get noisy. I know there are quieter relays, and I
wonder if anyone has a recommendation based on their experiences. That
thing clacks every time the key is pressed. At 30 WPM, it sure can make a
racket.

Best 73 to the Ten-Tec gang...

Jim, K5ROV

James (Jim), Parsons, K5ROV USAF, Ret.
k5rov@worldnet.att.net   QCWA, NWQRP, Fists, ARRL
EX: W1RLA, K5FBB, K4FEO, SV0WN (CRETE), SV0WN (RHODES),
DL4NC, DL4JP, KA2FC (JAPAN), KA2JP (JAPAN).
JOHN 3:16